September 1st is always a special day for The Perch because it was on that day in 2014 that I officially launched the blog that you’re now reading. I can hardly believe that this endeavor has spanned 8 years already. I can still remember when the idea first came to me. It was when I was studying for my boards in the hospital library, distracting myself with pen research during study breaks that my “flux capacitor” moment occurred. The pen research that I was doing up until that point was simply for my own edification, but it occurred to me that others might enjoy the fruits of my fact finding as well. I found so many interesting tidbits fractured across the internet, like a puzzle that needed fitting together. Some pieces clicked easily into place and others didn’t fit at all. Being able to sort through all of that to get as complete a picture as possible has always brought me joy. What started out as a diversion from studying has now become a primary stress reliever from a very stressful career as a pulmonary and critical care physician. Being able to combine my background in science with my writing skills has been a life saver for me and a way to give back to the pen community. Over the years, I have appreciated each and every one of you that have reached out via email or who have commented on this blog. Time constraints have limited my ability to publish content as frequently as I would like but I remain committed to bringing you all of the Pelikan news as it breaks as well as release my own independently researched articles. Who knows? Maybe one day I’ll even publish my research in a book format. This site, of course, will continue to run ad free and not be corrupted by solicitation or gifted products in an effort to bring you a clean and bias free experience. That is my ongoing pledge to you. I continue to take the blog’s integrity very seriously. Consequently, I don’t have the resources to run very many giveaways since they are at my own expense. Still, I have enjoyed hosting an annual contest for The Perch’s birthday so let’s do it again. This year’s giveaway is in honor of the blog’s 8th birthday. What I am offering up is a 2022 Pelikan M205 Apatite Demonstrator fountain pen and ink gift set once it becomes available in November. I have to give a special thanks to the good folks at Fritz Schimpf, a world class retailer whose assistance has made this giveaway possible. Read on to discover all of the details about how you might enter for a chance to win.
UPDATE 10/28/22: The Perch’s 8th Anniversary contest ended on 10/15/22 and I sincerely thank everyone for their participation. I really enjoyed reading your comments and seeing the photos that you posted to social media. I believe that there were approximately 90 entries this year. I wish that I had more to give away. That said, I’m very pleased to announce that Marjorie Asturias was selected as the winner of the Pelikan M205 Apatite Pen & Ink gift set. As always, I look forward to continuing to engage with you on the site and beyond. Hopefully, I will again be able to host another give away next year.
Pelikan’s M205 Apatite fountain pen is due out in November, designed to match the corresponding Edelstein ink which is a lovely turquoise color. The M205 will be a demonstrator featuring silver colored, chromium plated trim. It includes Pelikan’s best-in-show piston filling mechanism and will make a great daily writer for anyone who enjoys fine writing instruments. You can find out more about this model here.
Here is how to enter;
1. Click to subscribe to this site via e-mail (or your WordPress account if you have one). You can use the link below or you can sign up via the widget in the side bar to the right. Don’t worry, The Perch never spams you. If you are already following the blog (thank you), you can skip directly to step 2.
2. Leave a comment below. This year, I’d like to hear about something you learned from the blog that you were previously unaware of or perhaps some article that you found particularly interesting. How do you feel about the direction the brand has been going in? Perhaps there is some topic that you would like me to address in a future post. This is your chance to let me know how you feel about the blog and the brand. Finally, let me know why you want to add this pen and ink set to your collection. The two steps outlined thus far will earn you one entry into the contest.
3. Similar to prior years, I will again allow one additional entry per person via the social media platforms of Twitter, Facebook, and/or Instagram. Pick whichever one you prefer. All you need to do is make sure that you follow my blog’s social media account and then post a picture of your flock tagging me and using the hashtag #GrowMyFlock2022. Caption it by telling me what you love about Pelikan. If you don’t yet have any Pelikan pens, that’s OK. Show me what you do have and tell me why you’re interested in trying a Pelikan. Please make sure that you’ve also left a comment below and not just on social media.
I hope that the instructions remain straight forward and that the experience will again be fun for everyone. I have kept the rules pretty similar to past contests on this site. The contest will run for an entire month spanning September to October. Everyone 18 or older is welcome to participate (except residents of Quebec, Canada and where prohibited by law). By subscribing to the site, you may choose to be alerted to new posts which will ensure you are up to date with all of the latest Pelikan news, events, and my own extensively researched articles not available anywhere else. Please make sure to spread the word about this contest as I would love to reach everyone who enjoys fine writing instruments before the deadline so that everyone can get in on the fun.
Contest Terms & Conditions
- The contest will run from the time of the announcement on Saturday, September 17th, 2022, until midnight eastern standard time (23:59 EST) on Saturday, October 15th, 2022. The winner will be notified via e-mail within 72 hours of the close of the contest. They will then have 72 hours to respond before they forfeit the prize, and an alternate winner is chosen.
- Only one winner will be chosen to receive a brand new Pelikan M205 Apatite fountain pen and ink gift set. The nib will come in a medium width and the set is guaranteed to be brand new. This pen and ink set has a U.S. MSRP of $310. The prize is not transferable to another person.
- The contest is open to people worldwide (excluding residents of Quebec, Canada and in countries where such a contest is prohibited by law) to persons aged 18 or older. Up to two entries are allowed per person in accordance with the instructions outlined above and below. Myself, my family, or anyone else directly associated with The Pelikan’s Perch are excluded from consideration.
- To take part in the contest, first click to subscribe to this site via e-mail or your WordPress account. You can use the link above or sign up via the widget in the side bar to the right. If you are already subscribed, you can skip to the next step. Once subscribed, just leave a comment below letting me know what you’ve learned from this site, what you’ve found interesting, what you think about the current direction of the brand, or what you’d like to see me publish in the future. Finally, let me know why you want to add this pen and ink set to your collection. Both tasks must be completed for an entry to be considered valid. All comments are subject to review and approval before becoming valid entries. In rare instances, a genuine comment may inadvertently be flagged as spam by Akismet and may not be available for consideration though every reasonable effort will be made to prevent that occurrence.
- A single extra entry via the social media platforms of Twitter, Facebook, and/or Instagram will be available again this year. Pick whichever site you prefer (or all three) but know that only one additional entry via social media is allowed. To gain an additional entry; follow my blog’s social media account, post a picture of your flock tagging me, and include the hashtag #GrowMyFlock2022. Caption it by telling me what you love about Pelikan. If you don’t yet have any Pelikan pens, show me what you do have and tell me why you’re interested in trying a Pelikan. This is not a substitute for subscribing to the site and commenting on this page. Any social media entries not following steps 1 and 2 above will not be considered.
- The winner will have submitted a valid entry or entries and be selected by me based on the response provided below and/or via social media. The judge’s decision is final.
- Neither Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Slack, Pinterest, Reddit, nor any other social media entity is in any way associated with this contest. This blog has no affiliation with Pelikan International and this contest is completely independent of that entity as well. There is no sponsorship for this contest. The pen was purchased by Joshua Danley of The Pelikan’s Perch from Fritz Schimpf for the sole purpose of this contest. By providing your information on this forum, you are providing your information to me and me alone. I do not share or sell information and will use any information only for the purpose of contacting the winner.
- The prize will be mailed to the winner via the United States Postal Service using whatever modality is most economical. I will ship the gift set within 7 days of my receipt of the package from Fritz Schimpf who is based out of Germany. It takes an average of two weeks from the date of release for me to receive items from overseas, but it can take up to four weeks depending on customs. Additional delays might be incurred due to disrupted logistics surrounding the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. I do appreciate your patience. The winner’s response to my notification e-mail must include a valid shipping address. The Perch is not responsible for misdirected or lost packages.
- The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning. Void where prohibited by law. No purchase necessary.
- Persons may only win one prize from this site within a 12 month period meaning the winner from the year prior (2021) is ineligible for this contest.
- The Pelikan’s Perch reserves the right to publish the winner’s name to this blog. Neither the blog nor its administrator can be held liable for lost/delayed e-mail, typographical errors, or technical failures.