A removable nib has long been one of Pelikan’s hallmark features since the earliest days of the transparent Pelikan fountain pen first introduced 90 years ago. Pelikan Schreibgeräte tells us that one of the company’s early slogans was “The right nib for every hand.” The screw-in nib unit allowed retailers to keep a small cache of nibs on hand which allowed Pelikan’s products to meet a wide range of customer preferences. The convenience of this thoughtful design and the marketing put behind it allowed Pelikan to quickly earn the esteem of vendors and customers alike. Each unit consisted of a nib and an ebonite feed held together by a threaded collar which would screw into the pen’s section. Pelikan has long had mechanisms in place for the safe removal of those units. For the 1oo, 100N, and Rappen models, a special pair of pliers was developed to suit the purpose. The pliers had a series of three or four notches into which the fins of the ebonite feeds could be slotted. This would allow for a more secure method of nib removal with less risk of damaging the feed’s fragile fins (try saying that three time fast). The engineers at the company went back to the drawing board with the introduction of the 400 in 1950. Rather than a pair of pliers which still ran a risk of damaging the nib, they designed a socket wrench, also known as a box or tubular spanner, to accomplish the task.