September 1st is always a day of reflection for me since it heralds the anniversary of The Pelikan’s Perch going live. That’s right, The Perch turns six today! I always like to take this time to look back and see where the blog has been and try to visualize where it’s going. The last year has seen incredible challenges to our way of life. Hyper-partisan politics, economic devastation, a spotlight on racial inequality, weather extremes of biblical proportions, and the ravages of the coronavirus pandemic seemingly leave little to celebrate. These real world concerns have adversely impacted every facet of daily life including this blog, limiting my ability to bring you the same volume of content that I have in years past. Still, while lacking in quantity I hope that I have made up for that with quality. In addition to my family, the blog has been my refuge, helping to keep me sane amid the turmoil and uncertainty brought about by the coronavirus. The engagement with the pen community that the blog has afforded me has allowed me to retain faith that we may indeed overcome these hardships. I thank you all for that and hope that you will continue to keep up your engagement with the site, either via email or the comments feature. To those who have been content to spectate, that is fine too, but I encourage you to join the conversation. My personal goals for the site have not changed and I will continue to endeavor to expand the Pelikan knowledge base for as long as I’m able. The Perch remains a labor of love. As such, I will continue to forbid advertising, refuse solicitation, and not accept gifted products of any type for review. This allows me to bring you a clean viewing experience and allows me to remain free of bias. The integrity of the site is of utmost importance to me. The one downside to this approach is that it limits me from being able to host very many giveaways. My prior two contests were in honor of The Perch’s birthday and I’m thrilled to be in a position to bring you The Perch’s third annual anniversary giveaway. As a thank you from me to this amazing community of pen lovers, I am offering up a 2020 Pelikan M205 Moonstone Demonstrator fountain pen and ink gift set. I’m only able to do so thanks to the consideration afforded to me by the world class crew at Fritz Schimpf. Read on to learn how you might enter for a chance to win.
UPDATE 9/27/20: The Perch’s 6th Anniversary contest is now over, and I sincerely thank everyone for their participation. I really enjoyed reading all your shared sentiments. It’s amazing how so many of us have found solace during these turbulent times in letter writing and journaling. With everything seemingly virtual these days, it’s nice to see that there is still a place for the analog. With over 176 entries to comb through this year, choosing a winner was difficult to say the least. I’m pleased to announce that Katja Stokley was selected as the winner of the M205 Moonstone fountain pen and ink gift set. Hopefully it will bring some sparkle to her flock. While the contest may be over, I hope that your engagement here on The Perch is not. Please feel free to continue to contribute to the conversation and be sure to keep an eye on The Perch for all your Pelikan news and in-depth analysis. Hopefully I will be able to do this again in the future. Stay safe everyone.
Pelikan’s M205 Moonstone fountain pen has been a highly anticipated release. Due out in October, the newest demonstrator of the Classic line will feature varying shades of translucent gray material married to a shimmering finish. Not only is it a piston filling model, it comes from a lineage of durable everyday carry fountain pens that should serve whoever owns one well. You can find out more about this model here. Pelikan’s own sales literature states;
“Inspired by the gemstone Moonstone, this series gives the mystic aura of the moonstone an outline and transforms the fascinating sparkle into a writing instrument. The magic grey color reminds of moonlight rays and is sparkling as soon as the writing instrument comes in touch with the daylight. A special material combination realizes this unique effect and creates more than one shade of grey.”
Here is how to enter;
1. Click to subscribe to this site via e-mail (or your WordPress account if you have one). You can use the link below, the button at the bottom right hand corner of the page, or you can sign up via the widget in the side bar to the right. Don’t worry, The Perch never spams you. If you are already following the blog, you can skip directly to step 2.
2. Leave a comment below. This year, I would like to hear how fountain pens and/or writing have helped you cope with the isolation brought about by the coronavirus pandemic. Also, feel free to let me know what you have enjoyed the most from The Perch and please do let me know if there is any topic that you would like to see addressed in a future post. Finally, let me know why you would like to add the M205 Moonstone to your flock and what winning such a pen would mean to you. The two steps outlined thus far will earn you one entry into the contest.
3. Similar to last year, I will again allow one additional entry via the social media platforms of Twitter, Facebook, and/or Instagram. Pick whichever one you prefer. All you need to do is make sure that you follow my account and then post a picture of your flock tagging me and using the hashtag #GrowMyFlock2020. Caption it by telling me why this Moonstone set should come home to roost with you. If you don’t already have a few Pelikans in the nest, that’s OK. Show me what you do have and tell me why you’re interested in trying a Pelikan. Please make sure you’ve also left a comment below and not just on social media.
That’s all there is to it. I’ve tried to keep it straight forward and fun. The contest will run from September 1st though the 22nd and be governed by the rules set forth below. Everyone 18 or older is welcome to participate (except residents of Quebec, Canada and where prohibited by law). By subscribing to the site, you may choose to be alerted to new posts which will ensure you are up to date with all the latest Pelikan news, events, and my own extensively researched articles not available anywhere else. Please make sure to spread the word about this contest to any pen lovers in your acquaintance before the deadline so that all lovers of the Pelikan brand and/or fine writing instruments in general can get in on the fun.
Contest Terms & Conditions
- The contest will run from the time of announcement on Tuesday, September 1st, 2020 until midnight eastern standard time (23:59 EST) on Monday, September 22nd, 2020. The winner will be notified via e-mail within 72 hours of the close of the contest. They will then have 72 hours to respond before they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner is chosen.
- One winner will be chosen to receive a Pelikan M205 Moonstone fountain pen and ink gift set. The pen and ink combo are brand new. This pen and ink set has a U.S. MSRP of $270. The prize is not transferable to another person.
- The contest is open to people worldwide (excluding residents of Quebec, Canada and in countries where such a contest is prohibited by law) to persons age 18 or older. Up to two entries are allowed per person in accordance with the instructions outlined above and below. Myself, my family, or anyone else directly associated with The Pelikan’s Perch are excluded from consideration.
- To take part in the contest, first click to subscribe to this site via e-mail or your WordPress account. You can use the link above, click the button at the bottom right hand corner of the page, or sign up via the widget in the side bar to the right. If you are already subscribed, you can skip to the next step. Once subscribed, just leave a comment below letting me know how fountain pens and/or writing have helped you cope with the isolation brought about by the coronavirus pandemic. Also, feel free to let me know what you have enjoyed the most from The Perch and please do let me know if there is any topic that you would like to see addressed in a future post. Finally, let me know why you would like to add the M205 Moonstone to your flock and what winning such a pen would mean to you. Both tasks must be completed for an entry to be considered valid. All comments are subject to review and approval before becoming valid entries. In rare instances, a genuine comment may inadvertently be flagged as spam by Akismet and may not be available for consideration though every reasonable effort will be made to prevent that occurrence.
- A single extra entry via the social media platforms of Twitter, Facebook, and/or Instagram will be available again this year. Pick whichever site you prefer. To gain an additional entry; follow my blog, post a picture of your flock tagging me, and include the hashtag #GrowMyFlock2020. Caption it by telling me just why this Moonstone set should come home to roost with you. This is not a substitute for subscribing to the site and commenting on this page. Any social media entries not following steps 1 and 2 above will not be considered.
- The winner will have submitted a valid entry or entries and be selected by me based on the response provided below and/or via social media. The judge’s decision is final.
- Neither Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Slack, Pinterest, Reddit, nor any other social media entity is in any way associated with this contest. This blog has no affiliation with Pelikan International and this contest is completely independent of that entity as well. There is no sponsorship for this contest. The pen was purchased by Joshua Danley of The Pelikan’s Perch from Fritz Schimpf for the sole purpose of this contest. By providing your information in this forum, you are providing your information to me and me alone. I do not share or sell information and will use any information only for the purpose of contacting the winner.
- The prize will be mailed to the winner via the United States Postal Service. I will ship the pen within 7 days of me receiving the package from Fritz Schimpf in Germany. It takes an average of two weeks from the date of release for me to receive overseas items (further delays may be anticipated due to recent issues with USPS) but can take up to four weeks depending upon U.S. customs. I appreciate your patience. The winner’s response to my notification e-mail must include a valid shipping address. The Perch is not responsible for misdirected or lost packages.
- The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning. Void where prohibited by law. No purchase necessary.
- Persons may only win one prize from this site within a 12 month period meaning the winner from the year prior (2019) is ineligible for this contest.
- The Pelikan’s Perch reserves the right to publish the winner’s name to this blog. Neither the blog nor its administrator can be held liable for lost/delayed e-mail, typographical errors, or technical failures.