September 1st came and went without much fanfare, but it was a rather notable day for me as it marked the seventh anniversary of the official launch of The Pelikan’s Perch blog. When I started this endeavor back in 2014, I never thought that it would grow into what it has become today. I was simply a guy who wanted to share my enthusiasm for the Pelikan brand with the community at large. The warmth of the response from my fellow enthusiasts continues to amaze and sustain me. I’ve gotten to interact with and help countless budding fountain pen enthusiasts along the way as well as contribute to broadening the knowledge base surrounding the brand. The Perch has always been my refuge, my outlet to relieve the stresses imposed by a very demanding day job, made all the worse since the arrival of the coronavirus pandemic. While I can no longer publish quite as often as I did in previous years due to the increased demands placed upon my free time, I do hope that you have continued to find the site informative and enriching. I have always striven to bring you the latest developments surrounding the Pelikan brand in a timely manner and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Everywhere we turn these days, there seems to be new tragedy vying for our attention. It is easy to get disheartened by the current state of global affairs. With seemingly little to celebrate these days, I wanted to take a moment and reflect upon the last year and thank new and old readers alike for their ongoing support. I have appreciated the interactions from within the comments section of the blog as well as via e-mail because it is precisely that level of engagement that makes this labor of love so worthwhile. It remains my goal to shore up the foundations of Pelikan knowledge and break new ground where I’m able. I plan to continue to forbid advertising, refuse solicitation, and not accept gifted products of any type for review thereby allowing me to bring you as clean and bias free an experience as possible since there is nothing more important to me than the integrity of the blog. As such, contests are far and few in between here at The Perch but the last few years have seen very successful giveaways in honor of the blog’s birthday which is my way of thanking you for your support. This year will be no different and I would like to present you with The Perch’s fourth annual anniversary giveaway. Rather than a pen as has been the custom of year’s past, I have decided to gift one lucky reader a whole book full of them. I have secured a brand new copy of Michael Silbermann’s recent book, Pelikan Limited and Special Editions 1993-2020, that I offer up to the community with sincerest thanks. Read on to discover all of the details about how you might enter for a chance to win.
Pelikan Limited and Special Editions 1993-2020 details the last 27 years of Pelikan’s fine writing instruments over the course of 280 full color pages. This bilingual tome is the quintessential coffee table book, serving as a nice catalog for the company’s limited and special edition pens. There is also some supplemental bonus material that is sure to be of interest as well. The book retails in the USA for $110 and it is unclear just how many have been printed therefore these could be hard to find in the near future.
Here is how to enter;
1. Click to subscribe to this site via e-mail (or your WordPress account if you have one). You can use the link below or you can sign up via the widget in the side bar to the right. Don’t worry, The Perch never spams you. If you are already following the blog, you can skip directly to step 2.
2. Leave a comment below. I would love to read about your feelings on the brand, how fountain pens and/or writing have helped you cope through the coronavirus pandemic, and/or what this blog has meant to you. Perhaps you found a post particularly helpful or interesting. Maybe there is some bit of content you would like me to add to my list of topics to address in the future. This is your chance to let me know what you’d like to eventually see on the blog. Finally, let me know why you want to add this book of special and limited editions to your library. The two steps outlined thus far will earn you one entry into the contest.
3. Similar to the last two years, I will again allow one additional entry via the social media platforms of Twitter, Facebook, and/or Instagram. Pick whichever one you prefer. All you need to do is make sure that you follow my blog’s social media account and then post a picture of your flock tagging me and using the hashtag #MyFlockForABook. Caption it by telling me what you love about Pelikan. If you don’t yet have any Pelikan pens, that’s OK. Show me what you do have and tell me why you’re interested in trying a Pelikan. Please make sure you’ve also left a comment below and not just on social media.
I hope that the instructions are straight forward and that the experience will be fun for everyone. The contest will run from September 4th though the 25th and be governed by the rules set forth below. Everyone 18 or older is welcome to participate (except residents of Quebec, Canada and where prohibited by law). By subscribing to the site, you may choose to be alerted to new posts which will ensure you are up to date with all of the latest Pelikan news, events, and my own extensively researched articles not available anywhere else. Please make sure to spread the word about this contest to anybody in your acquaintance who loves fine writing instruments before the deadline so that everyone can get in on the fun.
Contest Terms & Conditions
- The contest will run from the time of the announcement on Saturday, September 4th, 2021, until midnight eastern standard time (23:59 EST) on Saturday, September 25th, 2021. The winner will be notified via e-mail within 72 hours of the close of the contest. They will then have 72 hours to respond before they forfeit the prize, and an alternate winner is chosen.
- Only one winner will be chosen to receive a brand new copy of the book Pelikan Limited and Special Editions 1993-2020. The book will come in its original packaging, just how I received it. The current US retail for this item is $110. The prize is not transferable to another person.
- The contest is open to people worldwide (excluding residents of Quebec, Canada and in countries where such a contest is prohibited by law) to persons age 18 or older. Up to two entries are allowed per person in accordance with the instructions outlined above and below. Myself, my family, or anyone else directly associated with The Pelikan’s Perch are excluded from consideration.
- To take part in the contest, first click to subscribe to this site via e-mail or your WordPress account. You can use the link above or sign up via the widget in the side bar to the right. If you are already subscribed, you can skip to the next step. Once subscribed, just leave a comment below letting me know your feelings on the brand, how fountain pens and/or writing have helped you cope through the coronavirus pandemic, and/or what the blog has meant to you. Finally, let me know why you want to add this book of special and limited editions to your library. Both tasks must be completed for an entry to be considered valid. All comments are subject to review and approval before becoming valid entries. In rare instances, a genuine comment may inadvertently be flagged as spam by Akismet and may not be available for consideration though every reasonable effort will be made to prevent that occurrence.
- A single extra entry via the social media platforms of Twitter, Facebook, and/or Instagram will be available again this year. Pick whichever site you prefer (or all three) but know that only one additional entry via social media is allowed. To gain an additional entry; follow my blog’s social media account, post a picture of your flock tagging me, and include the hashtag #MyFlockForABook. Caption it by telling me what you love about Pelikan. If you don’t yet have any Pelikan pens, show me what you do have and tell me why you’re interested in trying a Pelikan. This is not a substitute for subscribing to the site and commenting on this page. Any social media entries not following steps 1 and 2 above will not be considered.
- The winner will have submitted a valid entry or entries and be selected by me based on the response provided below and/or via social media. The judge’s decision is final.
- Neither Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Slack, Pinterest, Reddit, nor any other social media entity is in any way associated with this contest. This blog has no affiliation with Pelikan International and this contest is completely independent of that entity as well. There is no sponsorship for this contest. The book was purchased by Joshua Danley of The Pelikan’s Perch from a vendor for the sole purpose of this contest. By providing your information on this forum, you are providing your information to me and me alone. I do not share or sell information and will use any information only for the purpose of contacting the winner.
- The prize will be mailed to the winner via the United States Postal Service using whatever modality is most economical. I will ship the book within 7 days of the winner being selected and confirmed. I do appreciate your patience. The winner’s response to my notification e-mail must include a valid shipping address. The Perch is not responsible for misdirected or lost packages.
- The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning. Void where prohibited by law. No purchase necessary.
- Persons may only win one prize from this site within a 12 month period meaning the winner from the year prior (2020) is ineligible for this contest.
- The Pelikan’s Perch reserves the right to publish the winner’s name to this blog. Neither the blog nor its administrator can be held liable for lost/delayed e-mail, typographical errors, or technical failures.